Nutritional Facts: 150 cal each bowl for 6 bowls; 16.4g carbs
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onion, diced (about 1 large onion)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, peeled and diced (about 4 medium carrots)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1⁄4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4 cups zucchini, diced (about 2-3 medium zucchinis
- 1 15-oz can tomato puree or tomato sauce (no added sugar)
- 1 15-oz can diced tomatoes (no added sugar)
- In a skillet or 5-6 quart large cast iron pot or dutch oven, brown beef and garlic. Cook over
medium heat until beef is thoroughly cooked and browned. Drain off excess fat, set aside.
- Add oil, onions, celery, carrots, and seasonings to the skillet and cook until translucent over
medium-high heat, about 5-7 min. Once onions are golden and veggies are midway cooked,
add zucchini and cook for 2 min, making sure you stir everything well.
- Add cooked beef, tomato puree/sauce, and tomatoes into the pot and stir well. Bring
everything to a boil, stirring frequently, reduce heat and simmer for 20 min.
- Check on the mixture every so often and stir. Serve immediately.
- This is a thick, hearty chili. Add up to a cup of additional liquid (water or tomato sauce) to
think out the sauce if you prefer.